According to Wikipedia the exact definition of a goal is: A desired result a person or a system envisions, plans and commits to achieve a personal or organisational desired end-point in some sort of assumed development. Many people endeavour to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines.
Goal setting is essential when starting out on any health or fitness journey. Without goals, we lack purpose, focus and motivation.
But how exactly do we set goals? Well, it comes down to being SMART. Let me explain…
- Specific: Goals need to be specific and detailed. When creating your goal try to be as specific as possible. Without specificity it is hard to create a plan of attack and determine when you have met these goals.
- Measurable: If you can’t track and measure your goal, it’s going to be hard to monitor as time passes. When creating a goal, ensure you can measure and track towards your desired end-point.
- Achievable: When setting a goal, ensure it is doable and achievable. In setting achievable goals you are more likely to reach them and build confidence and motivation to continue.
- Realistic: Does your goal make sense in the bigger picture? If a goal does not suit the bigger picture, could it be worth focussing in on something that is suitable to the bigger picture in what you are trying to achieve?
- Time-bound: To create urgency, focus and motivation ensure that your goal is bound by time. Be specific on a date and time this goal will be achieved.
An example of a SMART goal would look like:
“I aim to complete a full depth 60kg back squat in 3 months time from todays’ date. To measure this I will follow my S&C Coaches program and diarise each session. This program has detailed frequency, intensity and volume of training that I will follow. I currently can squat 45kg so 60g will be achievable in the time I have allowed. In 2 weeks time I will review progress with my Coach and continue to check in fortnightly with my Coach until I reach my goal, planned for 3 months time.”
With these SMART considerations in place you will be all set to reach your goals!